All infected people in Wuhan being 'rounded up'
The Global Times newspaper reports that a “dragnet style” operation is under way in Wuhan, the
The operation was ordered by the city’s new party chief, Wang Zhonglin, on Sunday and aims to be completed in three days. Big data and AI would be used to assist the operation.
Here is what the news outlet reported
The three-day campaign aims to fulfill five objectives:
This follows an armed raid on a
Canada to evacuate citizens from Diamond Princess
Dr Theresa Tam said Canada would evacuate asymptomatic Canadians and they would undergo a 14-day quarantine at
It follows similar moves by the US and Australia to evacuate people from the ship on which 454 people have been infected with the virus.
The Nikkei in Tokyo fell 0.6% this morning and the ASX200 was down 0.2% in Sydney. Seoul was down 0.56%. Chinese and Hong Kong markets open shortly.
Apple’s announcement follows a profit waring from Cathay Pacific on Monday. The Hong Kong-based airline, already hit hard by the city’s protest movement, has cancelled 40% of its flights this month and next because of the virus.
The US Federal Reserve cut interest rates last year and that has helped fuel a boom in the US
UK officials are trying to contact Britons who disembarked after experts said the checking process may not have been handled properly. One person tested positive after leaving the vessel, which was refused by five countries due to concerns that passengers were infected.
Check out our full story here:
We have to assume that many more will recover if we factor in the latest comments by the head of the World Health Organization.
More than 80% of patients have mild disease and will recover, 14% have severe
98 new deaths recorded in China
98 new fatalities were recorded on Monday, the commission said on Tuesday morning, taking the death toll in mainland China rose to 1,868. There were 93 deaths in Hubei, 72 of them in the capital Wuhan where the outbreak started.
Across mainland China, there were 1,886 new confirmed infections on Monday, bringing the total so far to 72,436, the commission said.
It said on Tuesday morning that 93 more deaths were recorded on Monday, taking the total in the stricken province to 1,789. Another 1,807 cases were added as well for a total in the province of 59,989.
Those numbers are lower than the figures from
We haven’t got the national figures from China
The other key
- The WHO says the virus causes only mild disease in 80% of people and has a markedly greater
imnpacton older people.
- WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said data from China had helped form a “a clearer picture of the outbreak”.
- UK officials are trying to track Britons who left the MV Westerdam cruise ship in Cambodia amid fears the virus could have spread more widely than thought.
- Another 99 people have tested positive on board the cruise ship Diamond Princess
- Apple has warned of a shortage of iPhones due to factory closures in China.
- Germany’s central bank has warned about the risk to the country’s economy amid already slowing orders from China.
- China is considering delaying its annual people’s congress, set for 5 March in Beijing.
- The Tokyo Marathon has been scaled down to just elite runners.