The al-Asad air base in western Iraq, which houses some American troops, was hit by at least six missiles, according to a U.S. defense official familiar with the situation. In a tweet late Tuesday, President Trump proclaimed “All is well!” and vowed to address the nation on the situation Wednesday morning.
Here’s what we know so far:
● Iranian forces have launched more than a dozen ballistic missiles against two military bases in Iraq, claiming at least 80 U.S. soldiers killed. U.S. military said it was still assessing casualties.
● Iranian supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, called the attack a “slap in the face” of the United States, but said more needed to be done to end the U.S. presence in the region and avenge Soleimani’s death.
● President Trump will make a statement Wednesday.
● Airlines around the world are rerouting flights around Iranian and Iraqi airspace.
● Iraqi prime minister said he was informed ahead of time of the attack.