Our Mission is to keep our audience with an interrupted stream of financial information from serious sources, with the objective to provide the tools and sufficient knowledge about investments in the financial markets. we inform you, for example, CNBC, The Guardian, Washington Post, New York Times Selected News, selected financial news and videos, the Fed, FDIC, SEC, FTC press releases and enforcement actions.
1. “Despite my initial desire to vigorously defend myself, I have had a change of heart.”
Rick Gates, the former deputy chairman of the Trump campaign, pleaded guilty to fraud and lying to investigators in the special counsel’s inquiry into Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. He is cooperating with the inquiry, and may be offering incriminating information about Paul Manafort, his longtime associate and a former chairman of the Trump campaign.
It was a clear signal, near the end of an Olympic Games marked by a rapprochement between North and South Korea, that his pressure campaign against Pyongyang will not let up.
And Mr. Trump got big applause as he boasted about his decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel. Officials told us the administration planned to officially move the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv in May, to mark the 70th anniversary of the country’s founding.
The proposal, largely endorsed by House and Senate leaders, is the most significant move toward gun control in Florida in decades. But it fell far short of what student advocates pleaded for after the Parkland school massacre.
Erin Schaff for The New York Times
4. A woman who knew Nikolas Cruz, the school shooting suspect, told the F.B.I. last month that he had an arsenal and she worried he might be “getting into a school and just shooting the place up.”
“I know he’s going to explode,” she said in a call to the agency’s tip hotline. We obtained a transcript.
On “The Daily,” we grapple with a difficult question: How can the mental health system stop gun violence when mental illness is so rarely the cause of it?
His elaborate dress was called “too Indian even for an Indian.” Above, Mr. Trudeau and his family with the movie star Shah Rukh Khan.
Donald Trump Jr. was also in India this week, selling luxury condos for the Trump Organization. After days of controversy over the possibility of blurred lines between government and business, he abandoned plans to give a policy speech.
Ahmad Shafie Bilal/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images
6. In Syria, government-allied militias swept into the northwestern town of Afrin, above, in support of Kurdish forces. It’s a setback for Turkey, which is trying to clear the Kurdish groups from the area.
And at the U.N. Security Council this week, Russia stalled plans for a cease-firethat would have allowed humanitarian aid to reach a besieged rebel-held enclave near Damascus.
7. Anbang Insurance Group burst onto the global scene in 2014, when it announced a nearly $2 billion deal to purchase the famed Waldorf Astoria hotel in New York, above, an Art Deco symbol of Champagne-soaked excess.
Few had ever heard of the company, which was founded a decade earlier in Ningbo, China, and skyrocketed to success selling insurance and wealth management products.
The book is a smash hit in Japan, where Eiko says women in their 30s and 40s — and lots of senior citizens — are taking her tough-love message seriously. It was recently released in the U.S., and it left our author wondering if Eiko is the next Marie Kondo.
10. Finally, Trevor Noah riffed on the CNN town hall event with survivors of the Florida school shooting. He was impressed that Senator Marco Rubio said he would reconsider his position on high-capacity magazines, which allow weapons to fire many bullets quickly.
“I’m not going to lie, I’m surprised that these heckling teenagers got Rubio to change his mind,” Mr. Noah said.
“Maybe bullying isn’t that bad after all. In fact, maybe that’s how you get the rest of America’s lawmakers to do anything: Move the floor of Congress to the middle of a coliseum.”